Saturday 29 October 2011

Meet the dogs




Time to introduce the dogs, which are my love and passion. I am sure you will get to read a lot more about them in the future, but for now a bit of an introduction. I have Pyrenean Mountain Dogs. A breed of livestock guardian dog from the Pyrenees Mountains in France. My dogs are pets, show dogs, and also family farm dogs. They protect the house yard and orchard and all who are in it, including lambs and chickens, from predators like foxes. Luckily we don't have too much in the way of predators here compared to some places in the world. Pyrs are bred to protect stock from wolves and bears and do that very well. The dogs warn the predators that they are on duty by barking. It can be a problem in suburbia, but here I love listening to their deep bark as it echoes down our valley. I know the foxes will be going elsewhere for their dinner. All our neighbours bait with 1080 to protect their flocks. I hate the stuff (as horrible and indiscriminate as it is) and refuse to have anything to do with it. We actually have no need for it here with the dogs though. I have a separate website for the dogs - under our kennel name which is Espinay.

No comments:

Post a Comment