Friday 11 November 2011

Fresh from the Salad Bar

One of the things I like about growing our own vegetables is that I can walk outside and pick something from the garden and within minutes can be eating it for lunch or dinner. It is early in the season for us here but already we have a 'salad bar' of lots of leafy greens and herbs to pick. Frankly I have lettuce coming out of my ears at the moment and there is no way we can eat enough salads to use it all!

We have artichokes too.  I picked some this morning and now have to decide what I am going to do with them. I have Maggie Beer's book Maggie's Harvest which is a wealth of information on preparing and using different ingredients and one of my favourite books. I will probably pull that out to get some ideas.  I am thinking we will eat these ones fresh.  The smaller ones coming on now I will try preserving. 

A few more weeks and the garden should be going full steam. The bean and pea seeds have sprouted, the tomatoes and capsicums are growing well now there is less chance of frosts, and I planted cucumber, zucchini and yellow squash seedlings this morning. The bok choi is well on its way too so we will be eating them soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment