Thursday 3 November 2011

The Tyranny of Distance

There are lots of benefits to living in the country, and I wouldn't change that for the world. One of the things we have to deal with though is the fact that to get anywhere takes a bit of time. As we don't earn what you could call an income from the farm, working somewhere else is a must. For me that means an hour drive each way to get to work and the expense of petrol and a car to get me there. Unlike 'cityfolk' we don't have the option of a bus or train or riding a bike to work so a car it has to be. And those petrol bills can really add up! I am lucky as my job allows me to work from home a couple of days per week. A big plus for me as I love being able to stay at home and work in my office here. It does reduce the petrol costs a bit and gives me that travel time back. For the other three days a week though, and whenever we need to do something on the weekend, I need to hit the roads.

I have been debating car types lately. Trying to find the best car to do the jobs we need it to do has been daunting. A ute would be a bonus around the farm - we need a vehicle that can tow stuff and carry stuff and does ok bumping through the paddocks. To drive into town a small economical car would be better to reduce the fuel bill. To cart my dogs around to shows and other events I would love a van. You can't fit too many Pyreneans plus gear in a normal car! But having three different cars is impractical so at the moment I muddle on with the old 4WD which does none of the jobs perfectly, but at least it does them all.

I will say that driving in the country is much more pleasant than through city streets. I do enjoy the 'break'. A lot less vehicles to deal with and no traffic lights. On the other hand, defensive driving is as much a necessity out here too as while the human traffic may be less we have traffic of a different kind. Depending on the time of day I regularly see kangaroos, wallabies, echidna, wombats, possums, turtles, foxes, rabbits, snakes, lizards, owls (who like to hunt from the road at night) and all manner of other bird life who like to swoop in front of the car or sit on the road. I have even had a wedge tailed eagle swoop down in front of the car as I was driving along our road. It gave me quite a fright I must say. And then there are the neighbours goats, but we wont go there. Some days it can be quite a slalom course trying to avoid all the animals and you really do need to keep your mind on the job. While the distance has its problems though I wouldn't change living here for quids. There are too many positives to living away from the shops and chaos and close living of the city. We love our space too much. So for now we continue the commute and enjoy the scenery as we drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment