Friday 11 November 2011

Like a mother hen - part 2

One of our hens is broody.  Seriously broody.  Usually I try to break their broodiness early if possible so the egg supply doesnt reduce too much, but there was no stopping this determined little hen!  She is sitting tight and fluffing herself up with an angry look and peck if you get too close. I have decided I might as well make use of mother natures incubator and set some eggs under her so tonight she and the eggs will be moving to the broody pen and we will see if the move agrees with her and she stays sitting.

The sooner we move her out of the main coop the better.  One hen sitting on a nest box can prompt the others to go broody too and yesterday we had another try it on for size.  She decided this morning that she wasn't serious though and after a bit of indecision went off to follow her pals hanging out in the lamb pen.

As for the eggs in the incubator, they were candled at 14 days yesterday and all looks good for most of them.  I am happy as we have had storms this week and lost power a few times.  Lucky not for more than an hour or so each time, but it can still affect the eggs.  At least I have a broody hen now, so if we have any more blackouts I can always pop them under her.

2 comments:

  1. Your rooster looks like my Silver Grey Dorkings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My current rooster is a bit light in colour. He should have a lot more mahogany on his back. Seen from the front too the Favs have a very handsome beard and muff.

    ReplyDelete